- Tribute Island is a digital island in Second Life, which has been launched by lastingtribute.co.uk, a web-based service that gives people the opportunity to leave online tributes and memories in celebration of the lives of loved ones who have died.
- There is to be a series of free tribute concerts being played on a purpose-built stage on a virtual island dedicated to celebrating the lives of people who have died.
- One of the first concerts to be played on Tribute Island, set up in virtual world Second Life, will honour Elvis Presley, who died on August 16, 1977.
- BubbaC John, award-winning Elvis impersonator who can trace his Mississippi roots back to the King himself, will play live - the songs and music streamed live from his home studio - to the assembled guests on August 16, 31 years after the death of The King.
- The concert is being run by the people behind market-leading memorial website www.lastingtribute.co.uk. After the live concert, visitors will be entertained by three hours of tribute tunes from the renowned online DJs at Radio Riel.
- Around 100 visitors will be able to attend the concert.
- To gain entry to the concerts people will need to be registered users of Second Life (at secondlife.com). The concerts are listed on the Second Life events pages at http://secondlife.com/events but, at anytime, they can follow this direct link to Tribute Island - http://tinyurl.com/5r9tz4 [SLURL]
- Other concerts in the series include: Mankind Tracer’s Tribute to Syd Barrett on August 8; Joaquin Gustav’s tributes to Astor Piazzolla on August 22; Cylindrian Rutabaga’s Tribute to Eva Cassidy on August 29; Atomic Blondie’s Tribute to Marilyn Monroe on September 5; Paisley Beebe's Tribute to Ella Fitzgerald on September 19 and on October 3, Louis Volare's Tribute to Frank Sinatra.
- More than a million tribute pages are already live on the Lasting Tribute website, with hundreds of messages and images being added to them by users every week.
- Nik Hewitt, Lasting Tribute’s multi-media manager and Tribute Island architect, said: “The island has proved to be a great success, with hundreds of visitors looking at the memorials to ordinary people, the military personnel lost in The Gulf and Afghanistan, and celebrities alike. The staging of tribute concerts is a natural progression but letting the artists celebrate their heroes, the people who’ve inspired them, is a great way of keeping the island alive and interactive, something that’s a big part of the ethos behind Second Life.”
Tribute Island is a digital island in Second Life, which has been launched by lastingtribute.co.uk, a web-based service that gives people the opportunity to leave online tributes and memories in celebration of the lives of loved ones who have passed away.
comments will be monitored by Trevor Palmer.Comments