New Distribution Service Provides Web Application Sharing, Promotion, Measuring and Monetisation across Desktops and Mobile Platforms
21 September – Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE) today announced the availability of Adobe® Flash® Platform Services for Distribution, a new service that enables advertisers and content publishers to promote, measure and monetise applications across social networks, desktops and mobile devices.
Adobe Flash Platform Services are online, hosted services that allow developers to add innovative capabilities to Web applications with a predictable, cost efficient deployment model. Developers, advertisers and publishers are now using Adobe Flash Platform Services to make Web applications sharable, social, and collaborative.
The Need for More Effective Application Distribution and Measuring
With the growth of social media, advertisers and publishers are looking to more predictable and effective methods to reach audiences via social media. There are many benefits to using sharable, social applications to connect with customers; however, it can be difficult to get users to install the applications. Additionally, advertisers, publishers and game developers use distribution methods that don’t support all popular destinations and can be difficult to maintain. Many times, simply posting applications in an app store is the mobile distribution strategy. Rarely is an overall distribution strategy unified across the Web and mobile, making comprehensive analytics difficult to obtain.
The new Distribution service from Adobe helps solve these challenges. Adobe is partnering with Gigya Inc., a leading social media authentication and distribution platform, to provide advertisers, publishers and game makers with a comprehensive distribution solution. The solution includes a unified management tool to effectively promote, measure and monetise Web applications and games.
- Viral distribution by making applications sharable – Flash and other Web applications can be distributed to most Web, desktop and mobile platforms. The sharing feature is easily implemented, enabling users to share applications with a single click on social networking sites, on the desktop and mobile platforms.
- Mobile applications distribution – Web applications built with Flash Platform tools as well as applications created with other technologies can be distributed to multiple mobile platforms. Users wishing to install a sharable application on a mobile device will receive a SMS message on that device with a link to the application. Users then click the link and the Distribution service detects the device and delivers the version of the application that is developed and optimised for that specific device. For information on supported mobile platforms, visit www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/services/distribution/destinations.html.
- Assuring installs through paid promotion – Application distribution can be accelerated through paid promotion. Tens of thousands of Web application installs are possible through a unique paid cross‐promotion model. Adobe is partnering with Gigya to provide the free and paid methods of Web application distribution.
- Measuring success and optimising applications through tracking – Comprehensive traditional and social media analytics are available through the Distribution Manager. This application, built using Adobe® AIR® software, is to promote applications, and measure distribution and customer usage.
- Monetisation through cross-promotion – Publishers and developers can generate revenue through cross-promotion of other Web applications. When users click to download an application, this feature enables publishers and developers to offer another Web application to the user.
The Distribution Service in Action
David Wadhwani, general manager and vice president, Adobe Platform Business Unit
“Our customers rely on the Adobe Flash Platform to make rich and compelling applications that work across operating systems and screens,” said David Wadhwani, general manager and vice president at Adobe. “The new services from Adobe allow Flash Platform developers, advertisers, game makers and other content publishers to connect with an even larger audience more effectively, and grow revenue opportunities.”
Leo Collions, executive vice president and CIO, Lionsgate
“Lionsgate is actively working to use the Adobe Flash Platform Services for Distribution for media promotions,” said Leo Collions, executive vice president and CIO at Lionsgate. “We can use the service to repurpose, distribute and track the content to our customers throughout the content lifecycle, from theatrical release to DVD to digital distribution. The ability to reach customers on social networks, mobile devices and desktops makes the service especially effective.”
Brett Cortese, president, Universal Mind
“We’re Rich Internet Application (RIA) experts at Universal Mind, using the Adobe Flash Platform to develop compelling Web applications with great user experiences – and the new Flash Platform Services are sure to add value to the RIAs we build,” said Brett Cortese, president at Universal Mind. “The new Distribution service was easy to include in the Wall Street Journal Radio Flash widget, and will provide their team important information about use of the widget by tracking the Web application’s distribution across the Web, and by measuring how the audience actually interacts with the widget.”
Adobe Flash Platform Services
- Adobe Flash Platform Services are managed, hosted and maintained by Adobe and partners, with enhanced capabilities on a pay-per-use basis.
- Learn how to use the Distribution Service and learn about other features of the Distribution Manager in this video: www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/services/distribution/index.html#video
- Later this year, Adobe will also make the Social service available, which will enable developers to more easily connect Flash applications with the social network of their choice including Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and Yahoo. Developers will only need to write an application once to provide users the choice of which social network to access through the application. Additionally, the Social service will monitor each social network site to ensure that changes to the network don’t break applications.
More information on Adobe Flash Platform Services for developers is available at www.adobe.com/go/FPS.
About the Adobe Flash Platform
The Adobe Flash Platform is a complete system of integrated tools, frameworks, clients, servers and services for the development of Web applications, content and video that run consistently across operating systems and devices. Content that runs in Adobe Flash Player reaches over 98 percent of Internet-enabled desktops, and the latest version, Flash Player 10, was installed on more than 86 percent of computers worldwide in just the first seven months since its initial release. Additionally, Adobe Flash technology is the No.1 platform for video on the Web.
- Adobe Flash Platform Services site
- AFPS Tutorial Video: “How to Use the Distribution Manager”
- Wall Street Journal Radio widget
About Adobe Systems Incorporated
Adobe revolutionises how the world engages with ideas and information – anytime, anywhere and through any medium. For more information, visit www.adobe.com.
© 2009 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved. Adobe, the Adobe logo, Adobe AIR and Flash are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.