Social Media News Release
Second Life Reforestation Project Qualifies as a Finalist in American Express Members Project
• Second Chance Trees, an innovative project using the virtual world Second Life to help reforestation of endangered species of trees, has been selected as one of the 50 finalists in the American Express Members Project contest. Second Chance Trees is the only Second Life initiative featured in the final 50.
• The Members Project gives American Express Cardmembers the chance to select and vote for one idea that will have a positive impact worldwide. American Express will fund the winning idea with up to $5 million.
• Plant It 2020 has been selected as the fulfilling organization for the ‘Virtual Forest Project’. American Express Members can vote for this idea until the final 25 are selected on July 15. The next voting round selects a final five ideas by July 24 before the winner is announced on August 7, 2007.
• Second Chance Trees was conceived, developed and built by social media agency Converseon in partnership with 501 (c)(3) non-profit Plant It 2020. Second Life residents can plant a virtual tree at Second Chance Trees Island for 300 Linden dollars (about $1.50), which triggers the planting of a corresponding tree in endangered rainforest regions in the real world.
• If selected as the winner of the American Express Members Project Plant It 2020 would plant in excess of one million indigenous trees in endangered rainforest regions.
• USA-based American Express cardholders can vote for the ‘Virtual Forest Project’ at http://www.membersproject.com/Environment_Wildlife/991 until July 17, 2007.
Rob Key quote:
Michael Thau quote:
“This reforestation project will not only reduce harmful greenhouse gasses but will also help to feed tens of thousands of people.”
Relevant CoverageView blog reactions